Volvo's small wagon, the V50, comes in 2.4i and T5 R-Design trim levels, the latter of which is only available with all-wheel drive. Competitors include the Audi A4 Avant, Subaru Impreza Outback Sport and Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen.
New for 2010
The T5 R-Design gets a standard six-speed manual transmission; a five-speed automatic is optional.
The V50's looks are similar to its S40 sibling. A V-shaped hood bulge runs down into a sculpted nose, and there's a broad lower air intake. T5 R-Design models come with a standard sporty appearance package called R-Design, which includes a different grille, a sport body kit with body-colored side skirts, and front and rear spoilers.
The V50 comes in at 178 inches long, and its width is 69.7 inches. The V50 is longer and wider than the Impreza Outback Sport, but it's smaller than the A4 Avant and roughly the same size as the Jetta SportWagen.
- Standard mirror-integrated turn signals
- Standard 17-inch aluminum wheels
- Standard fog lights
- Aluminum roof rails are standard on T5 R-Design
- Optional power moonroof
- Optional bi-xenon headlights with articulating headlamps
The standard upholstery in the five-occupant interior has a slightly coarse, woven feel said to be inspired by sportswear. Leather upholstery is available. The T5 R-Design comes with unique premium leather seating surfaces. Aluminum trim is now standard on both the 2.4i and T5 R-Design, while Nordic Light Oak trim is optional.
The rear seatbacks fold down separately, and the front passenger seat's backrest also folds flat. Passenger volume comes in at 93 cubic feet. Cargo space comes in at 12.8 cubic feet, but with the back bench down it increases to 44.2 cubic feet.
- Standard automatic dual-zone climate control
- Standard leather gearshift knob and steering wheel
- Standard eight-speaker sound system with in-dash CD player
- Optional power glass moonroof
- Optional heated front seats (standard on T5 R-Design)
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
An inline-five-cylinder engine is standard on either model, and high-performance T5 R-Design editions employ a turbocharger for more power. The T5 R-Design also comes standard with all-wheel drive and a sport suspension.
- 168-horsepower, 2.4-liter inline-five-cylinder with 170 pounds-feet of torque
- 227-hp, 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-five-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard five-speed automatic transmission on 2.4i
- Standard six-speed manual transmission on T5 R-Design
- Front- or all-wheel drive
- Optional keyless drive
Though its sister model, the S40 sedan, earned Good frontal-offset and rear crash-test scores from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the wagon hasn't been tested. Unfortunately, differences in weight and construction mean we can't assume the same crash-test performance in the V50.
- Standard antilock braking system with brake assist
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard security system
- Standard immobilizer-encrypted ignition key
- Optional blind spot warning system
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers