Volkswagen decided to update the name of its Touareg to Touareg 2 after a 2008 model year refreshing. The Touareg 2 competes with other midluxury SUVs like the Volvo XC90 and Infiniti FX35.
New for 2010
The V-8 engine option is gone, leaving gas and diesel V-6s. VW also has dropped the optional Four Corner Air Suspension and locking rear differential.
The Touareg 2 has scalloped headlights with pronounced bezels. Upscale touches include silver crossbars below the headlights and side mirrors with integrated turn signals.
- 17- or 19-inch alloy wheels
- Heated windshield wipers
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear spoiler
- Power/heated mirrors
- Automatic headlamps
- Power liftgate
- Optional bi-xenon adaptive headlamps
The five-seat interior is trimmed in wood, chrome and aluminum. For 2010, walnut wood trim is standard.
- Simulated leather or leather upholstery
- Dual zone automatic climate control with air filtration
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Heated front seats
- Standard 60/40-split backseat
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake handle
- Optional 10-speaker 640-watt audio system
- Optional navigation system with 30GB hard drive
Under the Hood
The Touareg is available with either a V-6 gasoline or V-6 diesel engine. All models have a standard six-speed automatic transmission and full-time all-wheel drive.
A capable off-roader, the Touareg 2 has features like Hill Rock Back Assist and Hill Descent Assist that aim to make steep slopes more manageable. Maximum towing capacity is 7,716 pounds.
- 280-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 with 265 pounds-feet of torque
- 221-hp, turbocharged 3.0-literV-6 diesel producing 407 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed automatic transmission with clutchless-manual function
- Standard full-time all-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Rollover sensors for the side curtain airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Front side-impact airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system with traction control
- Standard daytime running lights
- Optional backup camera