2013 Toyota Avalon

21 city / 31 hwy

Overall

Somewhat Disappointed :(

by Spike Lee from Lenexa, KS | January 20, 2016

I have to say I've been a Toyota enthusiast for a long time, the Avalon to be precise. Back in 2008, I drove a 2002 Avalon and fell in love immediately. I ended up buying the car and drove it for the next 5 years!!! I loved everything about it. Gas mileage was great, I averaged 25 mpg city and 32 mpg hgwy. Unfortunately, I got in a car wreck that totaled the car *sob *sob!! I got a Civic which I drove for 2 yrs and hated. Needless t say, I decided to go back to the Avalon. I just got the 2013 Avalon Touring Hybrid with 25k miles. I've had this vehicle for a week and I can already tell my 2000 Avalon was more comfortable. The seats are too hard and the ride is NOT as smooth as the older Avalon. C'mmon Toyota!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love all the safety features that come with the newer Avalon but I feel like my older Avalon was smoother, quieter and far superior. Maybe with time my opinion might change, only time will tell. I've had the car for only 1 week. I will report back if that happens.

it's not the Avalon of old

by jdas from phoenix, az | October 16, 2015

This not the Avalon your father drove. It's more like the BMW I traded in to purchase this vehicle. There is more road feel but it's also more responsive than my old Beemer. The cockpit is very well laid out and just 'makes sense' and is easy to navigate. Toyota did a good job. It's also wickedly fast, especially in the 60 to 75 mph range and for Phoenix highways a necessity. Great car, proud I own it.

Not the car my prior Avalon was

by Second Avalon from Charlotte, NC | August 9, 2015

Owned a 2001 Avalon and I'd have to say it was the best car I've ever owned; so impressed, bought a 2013. Love the styling but doesn't ride as well as the 2001 and a lot noisier. Just repaired retainers on both front seat backs (car only has 20K miles) and note that others have had a lot of problems with seat backs and other plastic interior trim as well - in my assessment, seat backs very poorly designed. Wondering about other design integrity - time will tell.

Poor overall

by Owner 2013 Avalon from Nashville, TN | July 6, 2015

I upgrade from 2010 to 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited with only 30,000 mile, now experiencing front suspension issues, failure of door locking system, and failure of seat cooling failure.

Very Disappointed

by Family Car from Texas | May 26, 2015

Had looked forward to owning the redesigned 2013 Avalon. Loved the exterior and interior redesign but was shocked at how rough and uncomfortable the ride was. Headliner fell down in the back and the braces on the back of the front seats came loose. Toyota fixed both but nothing could be done about the ride. Have been an Avalon owner since 2004. Struggled with it for a year and finally gave in to buying a Buick Lacrosse. No more Toyota's for me.

Rough ride

by Demps from Jackson, MS | March 12, 2015

I have owned 20+ cars in my life and no kidding this is one of the worst and roughest riding vehicles...I would put the suspension in the Ford Escort category. My wife wanted a classy car that was sporty so we looked at the Genesis and the Avalon and now we are seriously kicking ourselves for not going in a different directions. Bad! We are now looking at options to change the rims and tires in hopes of a better ride. I have owned a Camry before and it rode 2x better! I totally feel like me paying high mid 30's price that I was taken!

For Maximum Smooth Ride, Get the XLE

by Roy L from Huntington Beach, CA | February 16, 2015

I was signing final purchase documents tonight and almost backed out when I saw more than several people complain of a bumpy ride. My salesman and common sense setting in will now resolve this matter for you. It is all about the tire/rim design. The wide, low to the ground tires of the touring and premium models are going to create a bumpy ride. What these tires give in return is greater sporty handling. If a smooth ride is what you want, then choose the XLE which has narrower taller (the distance from the ground to the bottom edge of the rim) stature and cushion. You can even increase smooth ride (at the expense of handling) when you replace your tires when they wear out with even taller, narrower tires. The XLE comes with 55s. The 60s size tires give more cushiony ride than the 55s and you can even go 65 on the tire (not tire pressure!! we are talking about the tire SIZE and DIMENSION) to get maximum cushiony ride. THIS SITUATION IS THE SAME WITH ANY CAR WITH WIDE, LOW PROFILE TIRES... Toyota Intentionally moved a notch away from cushiony toward sporty to create more of a "hyrbid" of what older people usually want, which is cushiony at the expense of handling, and what younger people want, better handling at the expense of feeling a few bumps. Its true that I only drove about 25 freeway miles, but, I can see that 85 percent of the time, you feel mostly the smoothness, and what you get in return is better handling on curves and fast turns that inevitably come our way. The car is WONDERFUL. I do not understand any complaints about the seats, or quality of the interior. I WILL update this review if I change my opinion, with only about 30 miles of driving and only owning it for 24 hours. The 2013s are all new compared to the 2012 and are the best avalons made. There are now NO TIMING BELTS which eliminate one MAJOR expense that hits older model Avalons (I do not know what year they changed to timing chains, but the 2013 has a timing chain that does not need that costly replacement every 150,000 miles. Even if you have to drive a distance to get this done every 10,000 miles, this is a HUGE BENEFIT!

Worst Avalon in 4 we have owned

by chief from Yorktown, VA | November 5, 2014

We have been 100% Toyota lovers since our first Corolla in 1980. Our 2013 Avalon XLE Premium is our 4th Avalon and we cannot believe the difference from the other 3. The ride and comfort are terrible. Our Toyota Tacoma has a better ride and more comfortable seats. We feel every little bump in the road. Toyota made a big mistake when they put the Avalon on a Camry frame in 2013. We test drove the 2014 Avalon and it is no different. Will stay with Toyota but moving back to the Camry next time.

Interior material an workmanship

by Disappointed from Leicester NCAA | September 4, 2014

My 2013 Avalon with 7000 some miles the interior seat backs began falling off. June 2014 notified dealer July had not heard anything, contacted dealer nothind done to resolve my problem, September have been ignored by Toyota and the dealer, at this point it is apparent that their strategy is to let the warranty expire. Do not buy toyota Avalon unless you loved disappointment.

Poor Toyota

by charley from Syracuse, NY | June 19, 2014

For $30,000 plus should be more comfortable. Feel too much of the road. Leather is cheap. Not enough cushion in seat. After only 4 months, I can't get out of this car soon enough. This is my last Toyota.