2005 Toyota 4Runner

Available in 12 styles:  2005 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 shown

Overall

Stay away from used 4.0L V6

by Not your fathers 4runner from Hartford, CT | February 16, 2016

There is a flaw in this engine and they all blow head gaskets between 100 - 140K miles. The repair is costly. I definitely wish I purchased the V8.

Great SUV

by Chucky from Appleton, wi | September 21, 2015

Great SUV so far so good. Was a little surprised the amount of frame rust...But every other area of this truck,besides the sound system, is off the chart..

Wow

by Aimee from Sacramento, CA | February 23, 2015

My car was in shop one day for maintenance so my friend at work let me borrow her 4-Runner to run an errand. Very impressed. 220,000 miles on it and it drives like its brand new. I asked her if she has had any problems with it, she said the only thing they had to fix other than maintenance is the AC knob and that only cost $20.00.

Best Vehicle I've Owned

by BrimeTime from Clinton, Maryland | November 14, 2013

This vehicle is hand down the best suv I've owned. Prior to this I owned three Jeeps, needless to say, I'll never purchase another Jeep. This car is 8 years old and still runs like its brand new. I love the way it handles, the smoothness of the ride, the interior isn't too bad either. My only issue I have is that the tire pressure symbol goes on and off, but as long as it keeps riding the way it does, I will have this car for a very long time. I am very satisfied, trust me, if you can get your hands on one, DO IT!!

Best Choice I could have made

by Woodcanoe from Philadelphia, PA | October 31, 2013

I bought this model on the advice from a friend who also owns one. In fact, his recommendation was so adamant and immediate, it really made an impression. Everything he said was right: Don't bother with the V-8, there's plenty of power and zip in the 6. The handling reminds him of a 3-series BMW he had and I can tell you that it is tight and the suspension is quiet. This car had 85K on it when I purchased it and it may as well have had 10K. It's still a new vehicle in many respects. I will use this vehicle to get into the back county and for some light hauling. I just loaded it up with a little over a half cord of wood and it handled the additional weight like it was nothing, no noticeable problems on corners or extended distance in braking. It is a great SUV.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2005 Toyota 4Runner

by Ben from West Des Moines | September 24, 2012

We bought a used Toyota 4Runner with 51k miles. It performs great, handles great, and is a smooth ride on the highway or in the city. After our first full tank of gas that was mostly used on city driving, we averaged 17.5mpg- great mileage for a V8 engine that has the ability to tow a good amount of weight. The V8 model is extremely smooth and the engine is quiet even when pushing it hard. Like that the backseats fold down behind the front seats and the back seat goes completely flat, allowing a lot of room for hauling big items. Some of the interior design is a little funky - the control on the door are kind of low, dial looking temperature control that isn't really a dial just buttons- but that is really getting picky in my opinion. Would recommend this to someone looking for a reliable, durable SUV.

Great car

by Toyota guy from Denver, CO | December 13, 2011

I'm a bit loyal to the 4runner as it is since we have a 1999 model in the family still that has served us very well. While a bit pricey they most definitely hold that value well. It is comfortable but is obviously more like a truck than a luxury SUV or crossover when it comes to noise, handling, and getting into the vehicle. Great overall car but the newer ones can be a bit more pricey to maintain as well. For example, 2 new programmed keys and FOBs ended up costing over $500 through the dealer since the lot that I purchased the vehicle from didn't have them. A great overall vehicle.

Very Happy

by 4Runner Enthusiast from Montgomery, AL | December 8, 2011

My 1998 4Runner was total. After looking at lots of CUV I returned to my true love. I bought this 2005 4Runner with 145K miles: very pleased. I went shopping for a '99 - '02 until I drove this. The vastly improved 4.0 engine was well worth the extra price. I get better power AND better fuel economy. Not extraordinary, but up to 24 MPG on the highway. The ground clearance is less, now I have to raise the front wheels to get under and change oil. But, the new oil filter placement (up top) is SO much more convenient. I prefer the styling of the 97 - 01 models, the more squared truck look. But, oh well. The 115V AC outlet is very convenient. What I hate: the silly push-button knobs for heater controls. They look like rotate but require push to select. Very awkward, lousy design. The heated seats are also sweet. I have no use for the rear collapsible storage cover, I wish it were easy to remove. The rear seats fold so much easier, no need to remove the headrests. All in all I'm very pleased. Even my wife likes it, she now drives it more than her 2012 Sorento. So now I get to replace the stereo with a full screen/bluetooth/XM sat/ model. BTW, the 7" screen on the JVC AVX840 won't fit, too tall.

Toyota for reliability

by Teri from Spring, TX | October 20, 2011

My 2004 4-Runner was totaled while we stopped at a traffic light. It was the most reliable vehicle I've everr owned, so I wanted to replace it. We bought the 2005 which is a little bit of an upgrade, and are very happy with it.

4runner forever

by ek from New Jersey, USA | March 30, 2010

One of the snowiest winters on record for the Northeast and I never missed a day of work thanks to my 4Runner. This baby powered through the snow and anything else Mother Nature could throw at me. The interrior made me forget about the harsh conditions outside. I waited a long time to purchase this truck and I hope to keep it even longer.