2015 Subaru Outback

Starting MSRP

Overall

happy after 16 months of ownership

by GSK from Denver, CO | May 3, 2016

I commute about 100 miles a day, 7 days a week. 75% highway, 25% city driving. After 16 months of ownership, I drove about 55,000 miles and am very pleased with the gas mileage. I average about 32 MPG from the trip computer but the real gas pump mileage is about 1.5 MPG less of it. I am not driving at 55 mph for best gas economy. I frequently drive over 75 mph and some bumper to bumper traffic daily. Gas economy suffers about 1.5 MPG with winter tires compared with all season tires. Ride quality should have been better as well as seat support. Especially thigh support is not good. Seat cushion is too short and it does not rise high enough so my thigh is always up in the air. I look forward to replacing my 2015 Outback with 2020 Outback.

excellent,safe car, especially on dangerous roads

by high performance driving instructor from Toronto | April 14, 2016

Bmw is the brand I have day driven and raced. Dodge is the 3500 truck I use. over the last 50 years I have driven, Chrysler, Ford, Mercedes, BMW,Honda, Toyota,Rover, GM, VW, and others. All in, The 2015 3.6 Outback is the best vehicle for road driving I have owned, I use Bridgestone Blizzack tires year round. New for the winter. In ice storms, high winds, mud/crud the car has proved safe and secure when I have passed scores of vehicles truck and cars off the road. I stayed with a drop top Porsche on a country road recently, using the paddle shifters. The car is 80% of a Porsche Cayanne, in roadability. Chassis is superb, expecially when price is considered. I run the tires at 43lbs which hardens ride and upgrades steering and braking. Complaints? Car failed when new. Resistors were defective and the car failed to run. After replacement no problems. Huge inconvenience. I had a first of run car when they were introduced. There is a strong wind noise fight front under certain wind conditions. Light reflection from left front mirror can distract, a design issue.navigation can not be updated to show current roads, voice aid is unreliable i.e. will not consistently hear commands correctly, No fixes the dealer knows about. Third party supplier I am told. Mileage is as another owner describes. With 10% corn juice car on long trips at 70 mph gets 24 + MPG not more. I am satisfied with that but no way does it come close to the promise made. Tested higher octane and no juice options, No economical advantage. Bt all these are minor details. for performance and safety this vehicle is the best ever in my experience. I cross the continent several times a year and drive in town and country as well so all conditions, ALL conditions have been experienced...save accidents thank The Lord....and caution. Oh yes I am 6'2' 220 and the seats fit and work for a 12 hour drive. All good. Sound system is superb for the money. A best buy.

A word of caution- read this before you buy

by hudsonwolf from New York | January 19, 2016

I purchased an Outback 3.6R fully loaded in June 2015. Extensive research and the positive feedback of Consumer Reports lead to this decision. I do not totally regret my purchase, but I feel there are things consumers do not see right away. I will talk about those. Gas Milage: Do not expect anything better than 22MpG on average road trips. City will get you 15MpG. On longer trips (not exceeding 65mph) you can get 26-27. Interior: The instrument board is horrible compared to BMW, Audi or Mercedes (all of I owned so I can compare). The display of the GPS is reflecting light and poorly placed. The clock is almost invisible, a tiny little number at the bottom of the middle console. There is no memory for the mirrors and the steering wheel, only for the seat! There are no washers for the headlights. The car would greatly benefit from wider tires as it does not ride like a wagon, more like a SUV. But you cannot change the tires because of theEyesight system. The front seat are a little to short for tall drivers. Other than that, great and responsive engine, very good breaks. If Subaru would fix some of the above issues, they could turn a very good car into an outstanding car.

Meets most expectations

by mikeb from Green River, WY | January 5, 2016

My 2015 Outback has 32000 miles on it now and for the most part I am pleased with the car. It rides nice, handles well and has been reliable. My only complaint is the gas mileage. It hovers around 25mpg if I keep it under 60 mph but, above 75mph it only gets 22.5 mpg. I drive long distances and usually use the active cruise control. The service at the dealership has been disappointing. I told them about the mileage issue and they said this is common and I should not expect to get the 32mgp advertised. I felt blown off but, also disappointment the vehicle cannot do better.

Awful roadside assistance

by No help when needed. from Columbus, MS | November 17, 2015

I love my 2015 Crosstrex. But had to call for roadside assistance tonight. When I called I explained to the lady I was on a very dangerous highway and needed help fast. They called back with a recorded call and informed me I would have help in 2hrs45min. Really!!!!! I waited for about an hour and had enough. It was just to dangerous with all the traffic flying past me . I cancelled Subaru assistance. So don't expect much of assistance when you really need Subaru to help you.

Go with the 2016

by steveo from Wisconsin | October 15, 2015

My 2015 Outback is just over a year old and I'm looking to trade up to a '16 with the eyesight system. 2016 packages are different than 2015 and the Eyesight package is a steal. My '15 so far is great in the snow and ice here in Wisconsin, gas mileage takes a hit like all cars do in winter but switching to non-ethanol gas really helps. Only problem I had was the weatherstripping on the front drivers door opening replaced due to erosion (it became shredded from getting rubbed by winter coats and such). The wind noise is still annoying but I heard the '16s are cured.

Best vehicle we have owned

by Stevebets from Aurora,Co. | September 25, 2015

We bought the 2015 Outback 3.6 limited to replace a 2011 3.6 , was totaled by a lady who ran a red light, the new one has several improvements , but the blind spot , SRVD system has problems , from the first day at 10 miles it was illuminating " SRVD disabled " did this intermittently, the software update I thought would cure it, at 5109 miles this problem reoccurred while backing out of the garage , dash lite up when a car 50 feet away activated the side view mirrors, some lights on dash remained illuminated for a 4 mile drive and return home, today backed it out to return to the dealer and it was normal , being told it may take several days to calibrate or replace the rear sensors , am sure there are more with same problem

Best car I've owned to date

by Deano from Sioux Falls, SD | August 24, 2015

Traded in '15 Forester Limited that I put 27,000 miles on which was great car. Did everything it was supposed to & then some. Wanted Eyesight so traded for Outback Limited which is a more comfortable ride & quieter. Forester actually seemed to have more room in back for hauling things & also like the storeage compartments under floor by spare tire with the Forester. Outback seems to get about same mileage as Forester. One gripe: Don't know why they can't spend a couple dollars more to make passenger power seat go up & down as well as back & forth. My wife is short (5' 2") & can't see out too well. Now I have to spend $ at custom shop to have them raise the seat and inch or so. All in all great car & had good buying experience at Subaru in Sioux City, Iowa. Sales person Wanda went out of her way to give service & accomodate.

GREAT CAR

by GARY WERDY from FLORIDA | August 8, 2015

MY 2015 OUTBACK HAS 9,000 ON IT AND I CANT SAY A BAD WORD ABOUT IT , I PURCHASED A LIMITED MODEL AND I WILL CONSIDER ADDING ANOTHER SUBARU TO THE FAMILY GARAGE

Not perfect

by Roger from MI | August 2, 2015

Great car, with qualifications. The ride is very stiff and may not please you on bumpy roads. You'll feel every bump and it can be jolting. There is a quirky, persistent "vibration" or "rumbling" above 65 MPH. Sitting high off the road with a high center of gravity gives the driver a less than secure feel at high speeds on curves. Car tends to ease outward. Steering is hyper-sensitive. Car is very nicely appointed. AC is wonderful. Driver seat back feels narrow to someone my size--XLarge shirt. Driver side mirror does not turn out far enough with driver seat fully back, creating a blind spot. Great sound system.