The Scion xB is part of a growing car segment : the small SUV-like hatchback. It's among the boxiest vehicles in this field, which includes the Nissan Cube, Honda Element, Chevrolet HHR and Suzuki SX4 crossover.
New for 2011
The xB received front and rear styling changes and interior updates for a spring release as an early 2011 model. Among the interior updates was a tilt/telescoping steering wheel.
At 167 inches, the xB is about 10 inches longer than the Cube. Styling changes include a new honeycomb grille, headlights and taillights for what Scion says is a more aggressive look. Exterior features include:
- Army Rock Metallic and Elusive Blue Metallic are new colors for 2011
- Standard black grille trim
- 16-inch wheels, with three wheel-cover designs, are standard
The xB has a center-mounted speedometer that some find hard to read. The gauges are red, which is easy on the eyes at night but hard to see during the day. Scion says a new black gauge background should help. Beyond that, the interior is fairly standard, with a generous amount of cargo room when the rear seat is folded. Interior features include:
- 160-watt Pioneer audio system with iPod connectivity and auxiliary port
- Optional Alpine Premium audio system with color touch-screen monitor and other enhancements
- 60/40-split rear seat has three-point seat belts and head restraints for three occupants
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard cruise control
Under the Hood
Toyota's workhorse 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. It makes 158 horsepower and 162 pounds-feet of torque. Mechanical features include:
- Standard five-speed manual transmission
- Optional four-speed automatic with manual-shift provision
The xB has a wide variety of standard safety features, including:
- Four-wheel antilock brakes
- Seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags for first and second rows
- Electronic brake-assist
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2011 Scion xB.