2005 Pontiac Vibe

Available in 3 styles:  2005 Pontiac Vibe FWD Hatchback shown

Overall

My favorite ride by far

by Busy Mom from Napoleonville LA | January 2, 2016

I have a 2005 Vibe my husband and I purchased when we found out his job would require an hour and 15 min drive to and from work every day. His job has since changed. Now it is my car and I couldn't be more pleased! This little car has hauled 10-15 50lb sacks of feed once a week for the past year, fits my largest dog kennel, 8-10 ft 2x4's, and cement. It also goes through my muddy pasture with no problem. (my little dune buggy!) It has required very little maintenance other than routine stuff and the gas mileage is awesome! It has over 300,000 miles on it and my only pet peeve is that the odometer stopped at 299,999 miles. Really love this car and will be sad when it finally gives up. Will definitely consider purchasing a 2nd hand one.

Great Car

by Commuter from Dayton, OH | October 6, 2015

I have had my 2005 Vibe for five years now and I love it! I have had no issues with it mechanically, it is comfortable for road trips, and it's cute!

Could not pass an inkblot test -- LUV IT!

by PopSmoke from Toronto, On | September 29, 2015

I have the GT model and what I love most about the car is that, like its owner, it would have trouble passing an inkblot test. The car definitely has multiple personalities: * is it a Pontiac or a Toyota? Best guess is 20% unique Pontiac parts, and good luck trying to find some of those in a pinch! * is it a compact sedan or an SUV? While using the Matrix wheelbase — brilliantly, I might add — the wagon configuration, with the back seat down and the high front seat, does a great job of pretending to be an SUV. The deliberately rough ride in the GT pack — resulting from massive low profile 17 inch wheels and a suspension a Corvette would envy — adds to the illusion. * is a sport car or an economy car? Truth is, even the car doesn’t know. The GT pak comes with a hi-performance engine that begs for revving and a 6 speed manual which acts as both a gearbox and an Alzheimers test. Forget for a moment what gear you were last in and you will find that your adventure is just beginning... * are parts prices Japanese-high or US-low? Again, the mystery deepens. The secondary emission fan on the GT is notoriously unreliable (a bad design allows water and dirt to collect) and, not counting diagnosis or labor, will run $1500. Or you can simply leave the CHECK ENGINE light on. And if anything happens to your 17 inch tire and rim pak, your great-grandfather will feel the pinch in HIS wallet. On the other hand, if you do a lot of hiway miles, leave it in 6th and you will get some of the best mpg results in the class. Overall: fun, quirky, a car that keeps you awake, a car that makes you think. If you are considering a used one, don’t think of it as a purchase, think of it as a “rescue.”

Good car

by hondoman45 from Riverton, Utah | January 11, 2015

Like most people who own this car, I am pleased with it. Like most, I have replaced the starter, but other that that, it has only required routine maintenance. It is a little noisier than the average car but makes up for it in comfort and utility. The car usually is driven about 75 mph on the highway and gets an average of 27 mpg. Mine is the base fwd and it does fine in the snow with good all season tires. It drives very well and goes straight down the road. No complaints here about anything on the car. It does have some blind spots so I've learned to always turn my head after checking the rear view mirrors. I think it has more space than my Prius and I use this car if there is any question about load size. This drivetrain has been around forever and will last forever with minimal maintenance. It is easy to work on as it is the same car mechanically as the Toyota Matrix. I would not hesitate to buy another should something happen to mine. Good car!

2005 VIBE - Great all around Vehicle!!

by mr peabody from The South | March 13, 2014

I was looking for a small suv that got decent gas mileage, and bought a 2005 CRV. - no matter how I drove, 20 mpg was my best. So I began looking around for an alternative, and I tried the Pontaic Vibe (Toyota Matrix) out. This is the best car I have ever owned, it has the setup of an SUV, the Ride of a Car, handles great, has great pick up, and is very versatile. My Vibe averages 28-29 mg and gets up to 34 mpg on long trips. I have a roof rack and installed a tow hitch and it is great for every day use. Except for two minor issues, problem with heater fan, and and the starter going, this car has served me well. If you find one BUY IT!

Pleasant Surprise

by Car Saint from Oklahoma City | March 10, 2014

This is a great little car! I sat in it, looked around and knew that if everything checked out, this was my new ride. Sure enough, it's mine. Very comfortable, engine is in great shape at 157k miles, plenty of power, smooth ride and lots of room for a smaller car. Not what I was looking for, but VERY glad I found it!

Bought for a steal.. What a deal

by college kid from NC | February 27, 2014

I bought a used '05 Vibe from a local lot in late '13 for a deal. $6400. Too good to pass up. So I snagged it with its 90k miles. Only routine maintenance so far (new starter, battery). It handles snow well w/o AWD and gets better gas mileage than my parents' '07 Mazda3. So no complaints there. There are a few more blind spots than I expected but those can be worked around if you actually turn around and back up. More storage than my parents' '03 Quest minivan especially with the fold-flat seats. Could use something to keep groceries from sliding around in the back but I solved that by using cardboard boxes which work quite nicely. My favorite things about the car are all of the storage nooks and crannies I have found since I drove it off the lot. Also I am a big fan of shifting from the center console even though it took some getting used to. Road noise is a little more than other cars but for me at least, that has never been seen as a dealbreaker. End review. 4.5 out of 5

I love it but hate it .

by vibe lover from Maitland, Mo | July 8, 2013

I have been fighting a vibration in the steering wheel for 2 years. I have had my car to 5 different tire services. My tires have been on and off 5 times . NO ONE seems to know what it is so Today it went to Firestone tires. If it doesn't stop vibrating I will sale it and get a KIA. Really I love my vibe but enough is enough.

the only car ive had with 435 thousand miles on it

by the last traveling salesman from Middleburg Fla | September 22, 2012

my 20050pontiac vibe has over 435000 miles on it and still going strong. Ps its realy atoyota matrix.

cheapest car to run I've ever owned

by busy working mom from Marion, MA | July 7, 2012

I could no longer afford the fuel bill on my Honda Pilot, but still wanted the features of an SUV (i.e. seats which fold down), and a roofrack so I can transport kayaks. This car does it all, at almost 1/3 the fuel cost! The hardest adjustment has been to manual windows and no automatic lock (so each door must be locked manually...) Otherwise it is perfect for my needs - which are many! I drive around all day long for work, then have two children and a dog, and a lot of sports activities. This car handles it all very well. A sports car it is not, but it is fun to drive, reliable and versatile.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Vibe