The NV is Nissan's first attempt at gaining a share in the full-size commercial van category. Offered in either normal or high-top body styles, the NV is a new contestant in the class that's been dominated by Ford's E-Series and GM's Express and Safari commercial vans.
The Nissan NV is available in three versions: 1500, 2500HD and 3500HD.
Apart from being offered in cargo van spec, the NV 3500HD can be ordered as a standard-roof passenger van providing room for up to 12 passengers.
The NV has the front of a pickup truck and the back of a cargo van. Buyers have the choice of two body styles for the cargo van: a high-top roof or standard roof. The side door, located on the passenger side, slides open to provide more than 40 inches of accessibility to the rear cargo area. That's wide enough for a forklift to load a pallet into the NV. The low step-entry height makes it easier to load cargo and for passengers to enter the cabin. Toward the rear, two doors swing out to a securable 90 degrees and can swing wider to open to 243 degrees. Nissan integrated mounted door magnets to prevent the cargo doors from shutting due to strong wind gusts or uneven terrain. Exterior features include:
- Standard-roof NV models fit in most garages and through most drive-through lanes
- Standard 17-inch steel wheels, available chrome and silver painted wheels (NV Passenger Van)
- Available chrome bumper and side mirrors
- Available privacy glass
Designers at Nissan took the idea of a "mobile office" to the next level. Standard features include boxed wheel wells, a rear-door storage compartment and a large, versatile center console that features space for hanging files inside. There are many convenient storage spaces throughout the NV's interior, including ones under the seats, hidden in the driver's seat corner and overhead in vans equipped with the high roof. The NV's front cabin looks more trucklike, providing passengers with more space. Nissan also offers a few high-tech options available on the NV, including Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity, touch-screen navigation system and Fleet Tracker, a 24/7 support service that tracks stolen vehicles and can notify the owner if the NV's burglar alarm is set off.
Buyers that opt for the NV passenger van get seating for up to 12. There are various power outlets throughout the cabin and a total of seven available ceiling-mounted reading lights.
Interior features include:
- Standard roof provides up to 234.1 cubic feet of cargo room; high roof offers 320.1 cubic feet
- Standard heavy-duty waterproof vinyl seats
- Available heated leather seats (passenger van)
- Fits up to two 40-by-48-inch pallets (cargo van)
- Six standard floor-mounted D-rings for securing cargo (cargo van)
- Available Adrian Steel commercial shelving (cargo van)
- Available cargo lighting with three dome lights (cargo van)
- Available 12- and 120-volt outlets
- Fold-flat passenger seat provides a desk-like surface
- Available cruise control
- Available touch-screen navigation/audio center with iPod integration, USB input and satellite radio
Under the Hood
Two engines are available for the rear-wheel-drive NV. The NV 1500 and 2500HD come standard with a 4.0-liter V-6 that puts out 261 horsepower and 281 pounds-feet of torque. Standard on the 3500HD and optional on the 2500HD is a 5.6-liter V-8 that makes 317 hp and 385 pounds-feet of torque. Both are mated to a standard five-speed automatic transmission. Mechanical features include:
- Available towing kit for V-8-powered NV allows for up to 9,500 pounds of towing
- Available towing kit for V-6-powered NV allows for up to 7,000 pounds of towing
- Heavy-duty brakes
- Runs on regular gas
The NV passenger van features eight standard airbags and integrated seat belts.
Safety features include:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Available backup camera
- Available side impact airbags
- Available side curtain airbags
- Standard traction control and stability control
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2012 Nissan NV Cargo.