Designed specifically for commercial applications as passenger, cargo or chassis-cab vans, the Sprinter can be built on one of two wheelbases with one of three roof heights. The Sprinter competes in a class with the Chevrolet Express, Ford E-Series Wagon and GMC Savana.
New for 2011
Mercedes-Benz introduces a Crew Van model of the Sprinter that is designed to carry five passengers as well as cargo. Also, all models receive a restyled instrument cluster and new Bluetec badging.
The back doors open to the vehicle's full height and swing open 270 degrees. One-touch, triple-flash turn signals and wide-angle mirrors are standard. A power sliding door is optional on both cargo and passenger models. Exterior features include:
- Standard power windows, locks and integrated wide-angle mirrors
- Standard 16-inch steel wheels
- Optional 16-inch aluminum wheels
- Standard sliding passenger-side door
- Dual hinged doors in back with a 270-degree opening
- Optional side doors (in place of sliding door)
- Optional heated windshield and rain-sensing wipers
Up to 12 occupants fit inside a passenger-carrying Sprinter. Two people sit up front and as many as three more rows of seats can be installed. The new Crew Van is designed to carry five people as well as cargo. All models can have bucket seats in front. Sprinters have a flat cargo floor and tapered rear-wheel housings. Interior features include:
- Available cloth or vinyl seats
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Standard CD player
- Optional six-disc CD changer
Under the Hood
Sprinters come in 2500 (three-quarter-ton) and 3500 (one-ton) ratings, but only the 2500 series includes a passenger model. Sprinters are powered by a turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6 engine. It produces 185 horsepower and 325 pounds-feet of torque.
Sprinters have an independent front suspension, rear leaf springs and power rack-and-pinion steering. Mechanical features include:
- 185-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6 with 325 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
Safety features include:
- Optional side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard all-disc antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2011 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.