Introduced for the 2007 model year, the CX-9 crossover has a number of standard safety features and can seat up to seven people in its three rows of seats. It's powered by a standard 3.7-liter V-6 engine and is available with front- or all-wheel drive. Competitors include the GMC Acadia, Hyundai Veracruz and Toyota Highlander.
New for 2009
The CX-9 receives minor equipment changes for 2009. A trip computer is standard on all models, and all-wheel-drive versions now come standard with a towing package. Sirius Satellite Radio and Bluetooth wireless phone communication is more widely available in 2009 models, and the Grand Touring trim level gains an auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink buttons.
The CX-9 manages to avoid the chunkiness of many SUVs, in part because of its angular nose and carlike grille. The crossover's shoulder line rises as it heads rearward, and the sides are free of cladding.
- Four-wheel-independent suspension
- 18-inch wheels are standard
- 20-inch wheels are optional
- Available power liftgate
- Available high-intensity-discharge headlights
The CX-9 has front bucket seats, and the 60/40-split folding second-row seat has room for three. The second row's backrest can recline or fold flat, and the seat can slide fore and aft to optimize legroom and cargo space. There's room for two in the 50/50-split third-row seat, which also can fold flat.
- Standard cloth seats
- Optional leather seats
- Standard tri-zone air conditioning
- Optional navigation and backseat entertainment systems
- Cargo area behind third row is 17.2 cubic feet
Under the Hood
The CX-9 features a 273-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 with 270 pounds-feet of torque.
- Standard six-speed automatic transmission with clutchless-manual mode
- V-6 runs on regular gas
- 16/22 mpg city/highway for front-wheel drive and 15/21 mpg for all-wheel drive
Standard safety features include:
- All-disc antilock brakes
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Three-row side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability system with Roll Stability Control rollover mitigation technology
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Mazda CX-9.