Like other grand-touring roadsters, the Lexus SC 430 hardtop convertible comes stocked with a V-8 engine and plenty of top-shelf accoutrements. A limited Pebble Beach edition has exclusive colors and wheels; its competitors include the Jaguar XK, Mercedes-Benz SL and Cadillac XLR.
New for 2009
There are a few minor appearance changes on the 2009 Lexus SC 430, including turn signals in the side-view mirrors and a new exterior color.
The SC 430 features a hardtop that retracts in less than 25 seconds. Created with a low roofline and sleek profile, the design was subjected to wind testing to ensure it met Lexus' standards for noise, vibration and harshness. The available Pebble Beach edition comes in exclusive colors — Lexus calls the exterior color Mercury Metallic and the interior has two-tone black- and ecru-colored leather. It also comes with unique wheels.
- High-intensity-discharge headlights
- Fog lights
- Adaptive Front-lighting System swivels the headlights for better illumination around curves
- 103.1-inch wheelbase
- 53.1 inches tall
- 18-inch wheels
- Available rear spoiler
- Available run-flat tires
Considered a 2+2 coupe, the SC 430 has a tiny backseat that's intended mainly for luggage, which is helpful considering its sliver-shaped trunk. Rear legroom is nearly nonexistent.
- Navigation system
- Heated 10-way power front seats
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Nine-speaker Mark Levinson stereo with an in-dash CD changer
- 8.8 cubic feet of cargo volume; installing run-flat tires and eliminating the spare tire yields a tad more space
Under the Hood
The SC 430's all-aluminum V-8 features VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence)
- 4.3-liter V-8 making 288 horsepower and 317 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Fully independent suspension uses double wishbones
Six standard airbags include the mandatory dual-front devices.
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Dual knee airbags for front occupants
- Antilock brakes with electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist
- Traction control
- Electronic stability system