The Jeep Commander is the first Jeep to have three rows of seats; it seats up to seven people. Sport and Limited trim levels are available, as are three four-wheel-drive systems. The Commander's competitors include the Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Explorer.
New for 2010
For 2010, the Commander dropped its 4.7-liter V-8 engine and the Overland trim.
The Commander features an upright windshield and rear window. Its angular sheet metal and vertical side glass give it a classic Jeep profile and a rugged, upright, military look.
- Standard body-colored door handles and front/rear bumpers
- Standard power, heated mirrors
- Standard remote keyless entry
- 17- or 18-inch wheels
- Optional xenon headlamps
- Optional dual-panel sunroof
The SUV holds up to seven occupants on two or three rows of seats. Each row is slightly higher than the one ahead of it, enhancing forward visibility for rear occupants. The second- and third-row seats fold forward to create a flat load floor. A stepped roof provides headroom for rear occupants.
- Cloth, leather or perforated leather upholstery
- Wood-grain and leather-wrapped center console
- Standard air conditioning
- Optional dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard power locks and windows
- Standard steering-wheel-mounted cruise control
- Standard eight-way power driver seat and optional four-way power passenger seat
- Optional second-row overhead TV monitor and satellite television
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
Three full-time four-wheel-drive systems and two transfer cases are available. In ascending order of ruggedness, Jeep calls its four-wheel-drive systems Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II.
Hill descent control, which is designed to keep the SUV's speed to a crawl when traversing difficult terrain, is optional. Hill start assist is also optional; it keeps the Commander from rolling backward on an incline. The 5.7-liter engine has a multi-displacement system that alternates between four-cylinder and V-8 mode for higher fuel efficiency.
- 210-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 with 235 pounds-feet of torque
- 357-hp, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 with 389 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Rear- and four-wheel-drive systems available
Safety features include:
- Available rear backup camera
- Standard side curtain airbags for all rows
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard Smart Key that immobilizes the engine in a theft attempt
- Standard rear park assist
- Available rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlamps