2013 Hyundai Veloster

Available in 6 styles:  2013 Hyundai Veloster 3dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Best Bang for your buck

by Stevizzle123 from Orlando FL | February 21, 2016

I purchased this car used with about 44,000 miles on it. I loved the sporty looks and the 2 tone interior mine came with black and blue. The car was fully loaded with leather seats, the 1.6 turbo, navigation, sunroof, back up camera and sensors, and push button start and entry. I was really impressed with everything this car came with for the price. Its a pretty good value compared to the Focus or Fiesta ST or even the GTI. Of course this car isn't as fast and only has 3 doors. Now for the negative. I noticed the steel wheeling material was peeling off when i bought the car but it progressively got worse and it would get on my clothing. Luckily it was a certified vehicle and was still under the factory warranty which is one of the best ones out there. I contacted the dealership to see if i could get the steering wheel replaced. Fortunately Hyundai agreed to replace it under the warranty. The touchscreen hardly worked it would only work if it was cool/cold like in the morning or at night. I live in Florida so the majority of the time it was unusable. The system would also press buttons on its own and this happened with the navigation as well so it was unusable. There are physical buttons for everything so it wasn't a deal breaker but it was disappointing that i was unable to use the touchscreen or navigation. The interior is also pretty cheap besides the seats which are decent and ventilated. The rest is mostly plastic and the armrests are not very comfortable and there was alot of rattling. Visibility is somewhat of an issue I would suggest removing the rear headrests and the back camera helps alot too. The power of the car is somewhat underwhelming as well (only used regular gas) it was fine on the highway but there was some noticeable turbo lag from a dead stop. The backseat is kinda tight and only seats 2 due to fixed center console. Its fine for kids or short adults. The panoramic sun roof is nice but the cover is attached to it so you cant just open the cover to let some sunlight in and the cover is very thin. I loved the cargo room it was more than enough for me and the seats fold down if you need to transport large items. I just recently traded it in for something bigger and with a nicer interior and a working touchscreen. I would still recommend this car due to the value it offers and the warranty. However you get what you pay for.

Good car that can be a economical and fun

by Paul from New York, NY | September 14, 2015

To start off, I have the turbo version with six speed auto. I bought it used a few months ago and am still in love with it. I actually look forward to my morning commute because I get to drive it. I was choosing between the veloster and a GTI and I chose this because you get way more. Leather seats, touchscreen with massive connectivity, 200hp turbo that can run on REGULAR (premium if you want too, actually adds some power). It handles great, minus the rear beam suspension. There is some rear end wobble over bumps at highway speed, but that can easily be fixed by installing a $170 part that tightens it right up. The leather is great, I have yet to find my back sweating in the summer. It has plenty of perforations that keep your back nice and cool. Snow tires are a must, as the Turbo's OEM tires are 18s and have bad snow traction. Buy this car if you want something sporty and capable of being economical (35 highway mpg) if you desire.

Nice Car...Now Let's Talk About Winter.

by Tooker from Northern New Brunswick Canda | October 16, 2014

This is my second post. I posted in March or April, too. I recently traded my Veloster after 2 years, but the sale of the car is quite bitter sweet. Here's why: First the pros: 1) The fuel economy was top notch, 2) The overall ride was acceptable. I enjoyed taking it on long drips during the summer months even though the plastic interior really hurt when resting the elbow near the door handle. 3) It handled quite well although the base model, non-turbo required one to be quite diligent with timing when passing on a single lane highway. 4) I felt the road noise was minimal. Compared to my CRV it's night and day. Secondly the cons: 1) I reallly take care of my vehicles, so I was disappointed that the center console was beginning to make creaking noises with only 25 000 km. 2) The Voice Command was not recognizing my MP3 stick very often. 3) The huge blind spots due to the car's design required me to put additional blind spot mirrors, which were useless during our long New Brunswick, Canadian winters. 4) Lastly, the overall handling of the car during our long winters. I don't drive like a cowboy, I have 28 years driving experience which includes driving rear wheel 80's beasts like Thunderbirds, the car was equipped with new Blizzacks, yet driving the FWD Veloster on slush covered northern highways was far from ideal. The back of the car seems to sway/jump if you hit large uneven surfaces. Combine that with slushy snowy conditions with roads that have built up uneven pockets of ice like we have and the ride is less then optimal. I drive 50km a day, and didn't enjoy the ride at all during the winter. Now purely on a 'manly' level, as a 42 year male I saw more and more young females driving the Veloster when I was visiting larger urban centers. Arguably, the intended demographics are for 20 somethings; getting out of the car is a little precarious being that it's so low. In summary, this is an affordable car that most young people getting out of university could purchase without stretching the wallet or purse too far. Its fuel efficiency is not an issue. It rated well during crash tests, too. However, this car is not ideal for long harsh winters. I've noticed that many who posts and comment are from Texas or other areas with milder climates. Young owners may quip that this old guy doesn't know what he's talking about and the car handles like a little pitbull in the winter. I'd say that if my daughter were old enough to start university I'd let her drive this car to and from school if there were no winter. Otherwise, the English Bulldog and I would pick her up in the Ridgeline when 12cm of snow is expected to fall. I hope this review helps someone make a solid purchasing decision. However, sometimes you get the fever for a vehicle and you just have to buy it. That's what happen to me over and over again. Ask me about my Jeep wrangler!

Nice sporty coupe

by wm519 from chicago | October 15, 2014

The car sounds nice, shifts nice (6sp manual) and handles nice. The ride could be better. It has suprising pickup with the manual. The Dimension sound system sounds great but is missing a few standard things. It does not remember your shuffle and info settings through USB stick. Bluetooth and voice command work well. It gets very good real mileage, 29 mpg in suburban driving. I have to tell people to watch their head when using the third door but there is decent room in the back seat. Nice size trunk and with seats folded down lots of room. Cruises effortlessly at 80 with four people in it. Nice panoramic sunroof.

A little pocket rocket

by MarVista from Santa Monica | October 7, 2014

Remember the 1988 Hyundai Excel. Well, this is not that 80s Hyundai anymore. The company has evolved into a world class auto maker contender earning award winning designs and performances repeatedly. Other brands better watch out. The Turbo version is a must for added HP but you need to know how to take advantages of that extras. Disregard all the negative reviews from the pro. They get paid only just to criticize. Beautiful design inside and out. Tech savvy will love it. It's a smorgasbord of media connectivities. Hyundai paid very good attention to details on this car, very well build and made as well with almost 30% discount in compare to other brands with similar luxury items. Rear view camera is an awesome feature. The front grill looks very aggressive and the rear is so sexy. Slalom is very smooth and agile. Great mpg too. Get one while it last, you'll love it.

blaa

by no knowledge from USA | September 8, 2014

Purchased a 2014 veloster.,, I purchased it 7n the winter,, when summer came along a started to smell a fishy smell needless to say I have returned it 3 times to have it shampooed at the dealer, , no its getting cool again,, the smell is gone, now when I put the car in reverse sometime it doesn't want to go in gear..not impressed p

2013 Veloster Fun to drive!

by jan2448 from Odessa, TX | August 4, 2014

I've had my 1.6L FWD for about 9 months, I have put a lot of miles on it, but the car has been very good on gas mileage, no extra noises, great sound system, no complaints there! My only complaint is on the passenger side, the panel between the windshield and the door, right where the side mirror is, that creates a big blindspot, and have almost pulled out in front of a couple of vehicles. Not sure if others have had this problem. Other than that this is a good small car to get around in traffic, even taken on the road a few times, very comfortable!

It's a 1.6Liter compact, that said. I LOVE IT!

by Tracy31tx from Houston, Tx | July 7, 2014

I have a 2013 1.6l base with the premium package/wheels/sound system. I read so many complaints about how the performance of this car does not meet up with the look of the car. This to me is ridiculous. Who buys a 1.6liter 4cyl compact Korean car with expectations that it is going to give you whiplash? I came at it from driving a 2007 Accent SE for five years, not expecting a sports car. with that view I got more than I expected. it has everything a $40k car has in gadgets and styling. it handles more than adequately for a compact car, and if you zero out the MPG calculator after you are up to speed on the freeway, you will see that you actually get about 41-42mpg at 60mph. I've driven from Dallas to Kentucky several times. and averaged 36mpg at an average of 75mph after 10hrs. I drive it without the eco and use the paddle shifters in sports mode and feel like i'm driving a much more expensive car. Premium gas helps to...the only fault I can see is the catalytic converter rattle with the a/c running, but only while in automatic, it goes away when I use sports mode. This is also an expectation with a 1.6l 4cyl compact car.........

Great Value for the Money

by Kitikki from TX | May 12, 2014

I LOVE my car. I was in need of a car that got better gas mileage than the truck I was driving. The car's appearance is important to me. Although I did get the turbo, it isn't as sporty as it could be. I have used the sport mode to get into traffic safely but don't really see me winning any races. There isn't another car in its class I would even consider driving.

LOVE MY CAR BUT......

by PIPNHOT from WASHINGTON STATE | May 7, 2014

I HAD IMMEDIATE PROBLEMS WITH MY SPEAKERS. AFTER SEVERAL COMPLAINTS THEY REPLACED ONE. WHEN IT SOUNDED BETTER ANOTHER SOUNDED BLOWN. I WENT AND PURCHASE ALL NEW SPEAKERS NOW SOUNDS GREAT...... I WENT TO GET OIL CHANGE AND TO MY SURPRISE THEY WERE GOING TO FIX THE SPEAKERS AS THERE WAS A RECALL! I TOLD THEM I ALREADY REPLACED THEM BECAUSE THEY SOUNDED SO BAD AND RECEIVED NO HELP TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THEY TOLD ME I HAD TO SIGN A PAPER SAYING THEY FIXED IT! CRAZY! NOW WITH ONLY 28, 000 MILES IT SOUNDS LIKE I PUT BAD GAS IN! IT TINGS ALL THE TIME! I HAVE PUT SUPPLEMENT IN THE GAS. BOUGHT PREMIUM GAS WENT TO SEVERAL GAS STATIONS TO STILL HEAR THE NOISE! CADILLAC CONVERTER? LIFTERS? I HAVE NO IDEA! THEY SAY THAT THEY CAN RUN SOME CLEANER IN GAS AND ENGINE FOR ALMOST $300.00! REALLY! I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL NEW CARS NEVER HAVE I HAD NOISE THAT I HAD TO PAY FOR SHOULD BE UNDER WARRENTY. I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE NEWEST OF MY PROBLEMS.