2013 Hyundai Elantra

28 city / 38 hwy

Overall

Almost a Hyundai Fan

by OneNonJohn from Wilmington DE | June 3, 2016

After having driven Nissan's, Chevy's, & Pontiac's I decided to purchase a Hyundai. Hyundai had come a long way from the cars they were making 20 years ago. They styling was better, the options were better, and to some extent their engines and transmissions are better. I ended up getting a great deal on a 2013 right off the truck in March 2012. The fuel mileage estimates were attractive, and so was the car ...inside and out. This being said I did enjoy the initial quality of the vehicle and it was fun to drive for about the 1st two years. Had no major or minor issues with the car at all. Basic services, a new set of tires, and oil changes were all it needed. From @ 75,000 miles on the engine started to fall off a bit, and fuel mileage suffered a bit. At @101,000 miles the engine developed a terrible valve knock. This conveniently happened right after the Hyundai 100,000 mile warranty expired. The car was totaled @ 104,000 miles after a rear end collision that both I and my dog walked away from. I gave this car 2 stars for reliability because of the mechanical issues, but it did take a rear end collision well enough to spare major injury to the vehicle occupants. All together its a great car for the money...unless you plan on keeping it longer than 100,000 miles. This is probably a good safe car to lease for 2 or 3 years and then trade in. I will probably never buy a Hyundai again though.

Jim Sheridan was great!

by Ceedee40 from Freehold,NJ | May 27, 2016

Our salesman Jim Sheridan was very professional and patient while helping us find the right car. thank you!

Holding Up Really Well

by Can't Justify Trading from Ashland, VA | February 12, 2016

Purchased vehicle in April 2013 ... nearly three years old and I've put on 78,000 miles! Gas mileage continues to be 34-36 mpg - I'm thrilled. Have replaced one set of tires at 70,000 miles - no other repairs required! Contemplating trading ONLY because I "want" a mid-size truck BUT, seriously, I cannot justify as this vehicle has (to date) been very reliable.

2013 Elantra Continued

by litesong from Washington state | January 1, 2016

This is an update to a previous review about 2+ years ago. With 31,000 miles, our Venetian Red auto Elantra has no repairs, drives excellent, averaging 39mpg with 15% city driving, featherfooting, & burning 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0). Highs have been 43mpg. Think the auto tranny would deliver 45+mpg on a long trip. The Elantra now is driven by a relative, when her old car gave up, & she loves it. We then bought a 2016 manual Venetian Red Elantra & it is great, too. However, the 2013 Elantra Hankook tires, even with extremely careful driving have worn almost to the wear bars & we replaced them with Goodyear Comfort Touring tires. Sure hope to see 2 to 2.5 times better tire wear, but we'll see(another continued review in the future?). The new Goodyears perform like the old Hankooks, for smoothness & noise, but with a bit more responsive grip in corners (again, with easy driving). Initial Goodyear computer mpg seems to read about as well as the Hankooks which were LRR tires, but time will tell.

Know what you're getting

by Road Tripper from Kansas | November 15, 2015

I bought my 2013 Elantra Limited new, I have 48,000 miles on it. I've had no mechanical problems, it's very peppy for such a small car, and it handles great. So why not a 5 star rating? My first gripe is comfort. The 17" low profile tires have very little "cush" , you will feel every crack in the road. Although not jarring, I'd prefer not to notice even the tiniest bump. Next is the gas mileage, no where near the claimed 38mpg hwy (and that's the claim after they lowered it). Also their trip calculator is consistently off by 2 to 4 mpg (in their favor of course). Do your own manual math. Worst gripe is tire wear. You will go through a set of tires in about 1/2 the rated mileage of whatever tire you choose. Also my battery had to be replaced after 2 years. There's no spare tire, but there is room for a spare if you take out the plastic thing in the well. I bought a rim and jack and mounted a tire, I've never had to use it but prefer knowing I have a spare. I thought I was buying a bargain when compared to others in it's class, but the excessive tire wear and poorer than expected gas mileage will eat up that savings. Still, if it continues to be good mechanically, I'll drive it for many years.

Elantra Compared & Tips

by Nick from Greenville, SC | September 8, 2015

Hyundai Elantra is on par or better than competing compact class cars such as Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Mazda 3 & VW. For less $ with more features. Lack of spare tire, jack, etc., can be solved. Many new cars no longer come with spare. Elantra trunk spare tire well is large enough for full size tire. Buy a new steel rim @ Discount Tire-$70 & used tire. New jack is $30 @ parts store or get used from junk yard-$5. Get lug wrench & rod too. No need to buy temp spare kit from dealer for more$. Hyundai issued free PCM (computer) software update in Spring 2015 for my 2013 GLS with Popular Package. Get this. Now called SE trim, starting in 2014. More power & smoother shifting. Do not know what other model years apply, but Hyundai web site tells all updates. Or ask dealer service dept. to punch in your VIN. Another benefit Elantra offers is wide pass through from trunk into fold down rear seat, which becomes flatter than competing models. Much more usable, especially if loading a bicycle. Elantra is built in both Birmingham, AL & Ulsan Korea. Quality is same. Note that 100,000 mile/10 year warranty covers only engine/drive-train for FIRST owner. Subsequent owners get balance of 50,000 mile/5 year warranty on most of car. Still better than other models & roadside assist is included. I bought used with 7,000 miles July 2014. As for MPG: Gets what sticker states. If buying new; check Hyundai web site for factory incentives. There are many. Nobody gets them all, but everybody can get get many & more than other brands. Don't ask salesperson. Instead check site & tell salesperson what applies for your situation, with confirm request from Finance Dept @ dealer before buying. True for all brands.

Great car for the money

by Hyundai Convert from MN | May 24, 2015

I started looking for a different car about a month ago and was dead set on a VW. I loved the styling of them and the sport mode that the Jettas and Golfs have. I visited a local VW dealership 4 times, each time being unimpressed with what they consider "Certified Pre-Owned." I am not sure if they just have bad detailers but I test drove 5 cars and 3/5 were dirty. Steering on half of them were loose which was surprising because these cars had 25k miles or less on them. I decided to not just pigeon hole myself with VWs and I am very glad I did. Looked online and noticed that the Hyundai Elantra Limited had everything and more of what I wanted/needed in a car. Test drove one with the tech package and bought it that day. Heated front and rear seats, dual climate, touch screen navigation, USB port, moonroof, back up camera, and this one had a remote start. CPO. All of those options for a 2013 that was LESS than what I would have paid for a VW with the same miles, year and their SE trim. I am not sure even the SEL trim on the VW comes equipped as well as the Hyundai. Is a Hyundai on par with VW in terms of reputation as being "higher end?" No. But VWs do not have the same quality they once had. I don't have a long commute for work so gas mileage was not an issue for me. Coming from a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, the Elantra is a big step up in almost every way. The only thing I wish the Elantra had was a bit more acceleration but I have a lead foot and perhaps it's a good thing it isn't super zippy. The seats are comfortable even for my husband who is 6'1 and the backseat and trunk have more than enough space. I am still surprised that this car is considered a competitor to the Civic or Corolla because both of those feel a lot smaller. Is this car an A4 or 3-series BMW? No. But you can get it optioned well for a price that you can feel good about.

Don't buy a 2013 Hyundai Elantra

by Disgruntled from Raleigh, NC | May 19, 2015

I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with a window sticker stating "29-40 mpg". Less than 2 months later I got a letter from Hyundai stating that they overestimated the gas mileage and it is lower now, 28 city, 38 hwy but I would be eligible for a gas reimbursement program meaning they would pay you back the difference in the gas mileage. It's NOT ENOUGH! My gas mileage is getting continually worse. When I filled up today, I calculated I am getting 21.51 mpg. This is sadly far under the gas mileage I thought I'd get with this car. It's terrible. And to top it off, I am not receiving the reimbursement money as promised. They say 6-10 weeks from taking your car in and having them read the odometer. I was there well over 10 weeks ago, and yet I have received nothing in the mail, nor a returned phone call or email. Don't waste your money on any Hyundai cars. You'll regret it!

Heather 2013 Elantra

by Heart Care Heather from katy texas | April 15, 2015

love my car! Anytime I need to go to Hub Hyundai in Katy all the people are fast and courteous. never an issue :)

could be better

by ACSLATER from | March 31, 2015

no spare tire. the MPG is way off. slow. after 35k miles the interior sucks. ride is rough. ride is loud.