2008 Hyundai Elantra

24 city / 33 hwy

Overall

Great car for commuting

by CW from Colorado | April 3, 2016

I bought my 08 in April 2008 and use to get back and forth. I average 200 miles a week just to work so the comfort and dependability are important. It gets great mileage in the city and most of the time it gets just over 30 mpg on the highway. I have over 96,000 miles and except for three sets of tires it is still a great car. I even still have the original brakes, shocks and struts and it rides just as smooth as when I got it.

Great little car!

by randr77 from Texas | October 21, 2015

Bought the 2008 SC version in October of 2009 and have done nothing but basic owners manual directives and thrown batteries in it. 62,000 miles and going strong!

Under appreciated car - bargain work horse

by elantra driver from Canada | September 19, 2015

Where to start? I have 345,000 on the clock of my 08, and the only issues ive had were a dead battery, and cabin blower actuator failed. Both fixed by me. Have to replace links/ends regularly because with the mileage i do over the roads i drive the suspension gets a good hammering. Agree with other reviews - suspension is noisy, but otherwise solid and as i found out last night capable of hitting a 4by4 in of lumber at 70 with no damage. I am north in snow belt - so 7 months of winter can be punishing, it has limits (snow days) but a good set of snow tires and good driving judgment and you should never slip, slide or get stuck, i never have. I have also loaded this car up with building materials, luggage on roof rack with family inside and it doesn't struggle that much. I will be driving this car to 500000 for sure! Maybe 1000000 just to see if it really can! Also its darn fun to drive and peppy!

Good car to drive

by Hyundai Elantra from Richardson,Texas | September 6, 2014

Really a very good car to drive. I really like the design of the car. I am driving this car to drop my son at school everyday. I runs great.

happy at first, not so much now

by randalf from Ohio | August 17, 2014

We purchased the Elantra SE new in 2008, and currently have 78000 miles in 6 years. It is primarily used as a commute vehicle, about 60% freeway. I was very happy with the car at first, but I don’t like it as much now. The road noise started poor and has become worse (more than I thought for a compact car). The ride is now horrible, and I feel every bump on the road. Now the bottom of the door panels have begun to rust (winter in Ohio). On the positive side, the gas mileage is still good, and I have had no engine or drivetrain problems. It has been a good car, but not so much now. I will probably give it to my son to drive until it starts needing repairs.

Still going strong

by hyundaI Lover from NEW JERSEY | July 7, 2014

I bought this car brand new in november of 2007 and have loved it ever since i drove it off the lot. The odomoter read 6 miles when first drove it off the lot and now it reads 280,000 miles. This car is amazing and saves me so much money that my pockets can finally breathe again. I never had to do any major repairs to it except the usually oil change, tire change, brake pads and some other stuff but other than that the car runs stronger than ever and i will drive it until the wheels fall off which won't be anytime soon.

best car I've owned!

by average joe from nc | July 5, 2013

I really knew nothing about these cars, other than I see them all over the roads, so I took a chance.knock on wood, this has been a great car!I have the 5 speed, manual.gas mileage is off the hook! Never any problems whatsoever, with this car, and I can be pretty hard on it, when im running late for work.80k and haven't changed timing belt yet.pushin it, I know.bought used 3 years ago.really handles well, takes curves great, comfortable on long trips.stereo system really sounds great, for an economy car, too.lots of storage in trunk, seats fold inward.best of all, room inbackseat for two big carseats!

Its very economic

by Lbb from | January 31, 2013

Very economic but a very little engine. Low horse and tourc. Around 35 mpg. Comfy inside. Nice stock speakers.

Great car.

by Dan from Stamford, CT | July 17, 2012

Great car. Very reliable, performs, great, good mileage, low maintenance, nice styling, ample interiors, plenty of trunk space.

Solid car!

by 2.0 champion from buffalo, ny | June 5, 2012

This car has never failed me in driving in both harsh weather when hydroplaning and in the dangerous conditions of backroads. I have never got less than 33.3 mpg from this car yet!. The handling is a little bit rolling, but the trade for comfort and road holding ability is worth the trade off on long trips across states. Very little maintenance is need, just the usual oil changes, and fluid fill ups.