The Ranger is offered in two cab styles: regular and SuperCab. The regular cab comes with either a 6- or 7-foot cargo bed, while the SuperCab comes only with a 6-foot bed. Three trim levels are offered: XL, XLT and Sport.
New for 2010
The Ranger adds roll stability control and side-impact airbags as standard safety equipment. The FX4 off-road model has been dropped in the U.S., though it's still available in Canada. The XL work truck adds standard air conditioning.
The Ranger's outward appearance hasn't changed much since 1998; it remains a compact pickup.
- Sport Package features monochromatic theme
- Sport has body-colored H-bar grille
- Other models have H-bar grille with nostrils
The Ranger interior is bare-bones basic. Leather seating is available whether you get the 60/40-split bench seat or the bucket seats, and there's an available Pioneer sound system with seven speakers (SuperCab only). The XLT and Sport pay the most attention to style and functionality.
- Standard rear jump seats on two-door SuperCab models
- All sound systems have MP3 jack
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel for XLT and Sport
Under the Hood
There are two engine options for the Ranger.
- 143-horsepower, 2.3-liter inline-four-cylinder engine with aluminum block and cylinder head, dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and 154 pounds-feet of torque
- 207-hp, 4.0-liter V-6 with iron block and aluminum cylinder head, single overhead camshaft, two valves per cylinder and 238 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed manual
- Five-speed automatic
The Ranger offers excellent standard safety features. Ford's stability system with RSC can help prevent a rollover by using the Ranger's four-channel antilock braking system to brake individual wheels and can cut engine throttle to try to prevent a rollover. Front side-impact airbags are standard.
- Four-wheel antilock brakes
- Roll Stability Control
- Seat belts with front pretensioners
Of Interest to Truck Owners
- SuperCab 4x4 maximum gross vehicle weight rating: 5,280 pounds (4.0-liter V-6 with Payload Package)
- SuperCab maximum payload capacity: 1,660 pounds (V-6 with Payload Package)
- Regular cab maximum towing capacity: 6,000 pounds (V-6 automatic)
- Available axle ratio: 3.73:1, 3.55:1, 4.10:1
- Minimum ground clearance: 7.9 inches (4x2), 8.0 inches (4x4)
- Approach angle: 25.1 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 24.9 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Departure angle: 27.0 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 27.4 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Ramp breakover: 22.2 degrees (regular cab 4x4 SWB), 18.6 degrees (SuperCab 4x4)
- Regular cab cargo-bed load height: 29.7 inches (SWB), 29.2 inches (LWB)
- SuperCab cargo-bed load height: 29.5 inches (4x2), 31.9 inches (4x4)
- Cargo floor length: 72.7 inches (SWB), 84.6 inches (LWB)
- Cargo floor width: 54.4 inches
- Cargo floor width at wheel well: 40.5 inches
- Cargo bed depth: 16.5 inches