2013 Chevrolet Equinox

Available in 8 styles:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Sport Utility shown

Overall

Surprisingly nice

by RCK from Terre Haute, IN | July 31, 2016

Purchased a 2013 Equinox after our 2010 Silverado developed engine problems beyond what we were willing to spend. Initially wasn't sure if we had made a good choice or not, going from a full size truck to this. But after just 3 months and a vacation trip to Texas which was 2200 miles round trip - we're convinced we did. Very comfortable, stylish, the sliding rear seat is a nice feature, and average 30mpg with as much as 34mpg - which is obviously better than the 16-18mpg the truck had. Average distance on a full tank is about 530 miles. Of course our friends said that we would miss having a truck, but given the fact I drive an average of 18,000 miles a year and drove a truck for comfort, style and not so much because I haul a lot, because after thinking about it - I don't. This Equinox made perfect sense economically. As for those rare times that I need to haul something, I purchased a factory fit Reese hitch and an 8x5 trailer and the problem is solved. The only drawback and it is maybe trivial, but the rear seat area does not have any cup holders except for the ones in the door panels and they are not made for anything bigger than a can, small bottle. Our Equinox has the 4cly engine in it and I had read the reviews about how unresponsive it was. Well, it's not a 5.3 V8 but having driven in Houston traffic with 6 lanes of chaos and a GPS (not the built in one) that would tell us we had a mile (or less sometimes) to move over 4 lanes - I think it handled GREAT. Overall, I would not have any hesitation convincing someone to purchase one of these vehicles and look forward to driving ours until it's time to buy another.

Update of my Jan, 2013 Review

by Was a MOPAR Man from Copperas Cove, TX | March 14, 2016

Have now had this car for 38+ months and decided time to provide an update of my previous review from Jan, 2013. Absolutely nothing has changed - greatest vehicle I have ever owned. Get an average of 25.5 mpg city/highway combined. People who rate the 2.4 L engine as having no power probably want the response of a V-8. Never had any problems accelerating onto a highway. Sure it's not a hot rod, but then didn't buy it for that. Never one problem with this vehicle in 3+ years. One concern I initially had was the "requirement" to use DEXTOS type oil- naturally more expensive than regular 5W-30. From what I have read the warranty is still valid if you use regular motor oil. I did get an oil change using regular 5W-30 one time just to save a few $$, but have gone back to using the DEXTOS as the price has dropped. With gas here in Texas now in the $1.45 per gallon range, this car is cheap to drive. All in all, a great SUV. Will keep it until the doors fall off, which will probably be long after I'm gone.

my 2013 eqinox

by harleyman from slc utah | March 5, 2016

I bought this and I have loved it from day one i am reading all the unhappy people that is getting bad gas millage i get 24 to 32 mpg the reason why check your tires keep them at tires recommend keep your air filter clean don't buy cheep gas dont hot rod it drive slow off the line and speed up slowly keep the car clean and etc. I have driving a corvette and was able to get 30 mpg.its how you drive it i got 60 mph on a 2008 Prius and the car it self does take time to get to know it mine is the 4 cylinder and i do not use the fuel saver button yet but i will when i go on a freeway then i will use it and i bet i get up to 35 to 40. Don't drive it like you still it take care of it and it will take care of you. harleyman

Happy but expected better

by Ms dose it all from | February 26, 2016

I did some shopping around and decided to get an Equinox. I love the features remote start, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, hand free calling onstar, steering wheel controls, power everything etc. wish I had heated seats but I'll manage. The space is good I have a family of 5 which include two teens and the Wi-Fi prevent them from using up the phone data while on the go while playing their favorite music on Pandora I'm loving the audio sound also. It holds up through the snow and I'm in OH so I'm talking about 10in or more, it heats up quickly with out delay. The seats are cloth so with my youngest being 4yrs old got to make sure no spills happen, I had lather seats prior where I could just wipe everything off with ease, unsure now. The gas mileage I thought would be better I putting $20 of gas in it once a week, I work less then 3 miles from home so daily I drive maybe 12 miles tops nothing more maybe less so this is a issue for me, I'm not sure if I just need a tune up or what but I just bought this vehicle less then 30 days ago. I bought it used with 1 owner and less the 28000 miles on it which is great and the price..could not bet it. Over all I'm happy smooth ride still trying to figure out all the extra features

A SUPER CAR THAT SAVES LOTS OF GAS

by bunchee from Hammond, In | June 17, 2015

Me and my mother wern't in the market to buy a car until our old 2007 trailblazer started to give out and became a repair problem! When the trailblazer failed the emmision test my mother said it was time for a another car! I looked at the Kia Soul because of the gas mileage which is 36 mpg highway but was too small for my mother to ride in! The Soul's price was very resonable too. Then the Equinox came as upon the next car that I looked at. My mother loved the size and leg room this SUV provided! I loved this car because of the gas mileage which is 32mpg highway , the sound system and the seats are very comfortable. The exterior style is like 21st century and the cargo space is spaceous! My mother and I have received lots of complements about our new car. The decision to purchase this car was the right one because it will serve us in a great way! Our trailblazer lasted for over 100,000 miles and the gas mileage was 22mpg highway but the condition was starting to slowly deteriorate. So far I'm very happy with this vechile! The only thing was the car's price is about $5,000 more than the Kia Soul. I was trying to save money.

Can't belive GM could make such a dog.

by Ken from Minnesota | April 28, 2015

Noisy Bad seats uncomfortable Poor gas mileage about 15 in town 25 on highway 4 cyl engine. advertised 25 city 32 highway. No heater in back seat area. MY LINK is bad

disappointed

by disappointedowner from Bossier City, LA | April 20, 2015

Owned this Equinox for 2 years now. Bought it because of advertised gas mileage. Have not come anywhere close to rated mileage. 5 to 6 miles/gal. less than rated. Contacted dealer and Chevy, but could not and would not resolve. Have always done as good or better on many previous vehicles. Bought a Spark at the same time and it gets rated mileage. Have done better at around town mileage than highway on most occasions. Sad.

A lukewarm experience - Chevy Equinox 2013

by Gms1976 from Yuba City, California | April 12, 2015

We had to start looking for a new car when my old car was totaled due to the negligence of another driver. My old car, as plain and simple as it was, had been my dream car. It was cute, had power and all the chrome extras. I really wish I could say the same about this car. Don't get me wrong - the Equinox has some great options and features, but they are - after driving it for over 18 months - just not for me. We chose the Equinox for fuel economy and price, not because it was a car we wanted badly. First off, there are no 6 cylinder options, so don't expect any highway speed out of this car. The ride is a little bumpy as the Equinox doesn't absorb unevenness in the pavement very effectively. The gas mileage is really good - I've managed up to around 500 miles on a single tank. To achieve this you need to have the Eco setting on, so kiss any extra power, AC/fan air pressure etc. goodbye when this setting is active. The fan will be set on the max speed and you will get a mild breeze while this setting is on. The Lane Departure as well as the Forward Collision warning systems were so annoying that I turned them off a few weeks into ownership. They alarmed needlessly and the car even slammed on the brakes when there was no threat of collision. This was extremely unnerving. I do, however, like the review view camera for backing up, although reversing when the sun is behind you, is a bit of a challenge as the camera doesn't tolerate bright lights very well and a large black image appears on the screen when the light is too bright. The seats are pretty comfortable and the adjustable lumbar support is good, as is the heating element. Of note, the doors are heavy and don't hold position very well. On multiple occasions, I inadvertently pushed a little too hard hard - i.e. just opened the door - and the door bounced closed smacking my leg as I stepped out. A mild amount of pressure will send the door bouncing outward only to crush your leg on it's return voyage. The open door positions (not sure of the correct terminology here) are very soft. This car came with a USB port for playing music which was great. The downside is that it works sporadically and I have to keep opening the compartment between the seats to unplug and then reinsert the thumb-drive with my music on as it tells me it can't read it. A brand new thumb drive and the vehicle does the same no matter what drive I insert. I have no idea what will be playing when I start my car as it could be the CD, USB or Radio - nothing is consistent. Per Chevy, you can plug in your IPod into the USB port which at first I thought was great. The salesman (and I asked specifically) stated ANY IPod would would. Not true unfortunately - the IPod Shuffle (which I owned) is not compatible. If you don't have an IPod that is compatible, you now have the fun opportunity to sit for hours on end putting music on a thumbdrive in the right format. I spend a lot of time in my car, so music and radio mean a lot to me. I didn't appreciate having to spend hours compiling a playlist out of Itunes (converting all to MP3). There is also no ability to browse radio stations on the steering wheel which would be nice when traveling. Currently one can only browse preset favorites, but when traveling out of town, or taking a long trip, it would be nice to change stations 'on the fly', as it were. There is a search button, but you have to reach away from the steering wheel to hit it and would have to do so repeatedly. Trunk space is somewhat limited, but the leg-room for passengers is spectacular. I got the 2-tone leather seats which is nice, but the dash has a somewhat plastic appearance. It doesn't have the luxury touch of other SUV crossovers in a similar price range. In the past month or so, the left back passenger window now sticks so I will be looking into that and I don't recommend opening the back windows on the highway - the whole car shakes and vibrates until you feel like your teeth are going to fall out. Overall, the Equinox has been OK. Would I buy it again – No. Would I recommend it to anyone else? Depends. For a family looking for fuel economy and passenger room? Maybe. Driving the 2013 Equinox left me rather disappointed in Chevy. My husband drives a Chevy which is why it influenced us into getting another. I don't know if I would do it again.

Chevy Equinox, 2013;

by Nikki from Surrey,B.C | January 23, 2015

Great car. Attractive exterior style and color; Lovely interior design. Very spacious and comfortable Love the instrumentation and indicators. Lots of room and storage. Nice color match between the instrumentation display and the vehicle exterior color. Great sound system for both; stereo and blue tooth systems. Great lighting options; inside and out. Easy to drive. Rated among the top cars for safety Best car I have ever owned. Affordable pricing. I had a malibu before, and had a whole bunch of problems, so I thought i'll never buy a chevy again. until I found the equinox Not all cars work the same.some are odd, like people. they have problems. This time I got a good one. Great investment. Never regret it. Love it.

LOVE this car...with a few minor complaints...

by bucfan57 from Columbus OH | January 18, 2015

I bought my 2013 Equinox LT new in October of 2013. Overall, the best car I've ever owned. The Good: Handles great, comfortable to drive, stylish exterior, great sound system for a factory system, plenty of room for storage, seats 5 comfortably, easy to use touch screen, My Link alerts me to things like oil life, tire pressure, etc, blue tooth audio is very clear. The not so good: rear view mirror visability is just so-so, very little room between the door and seat, gas mileage is good for an SUV but not what the manufacturer claims it should be. Overall, love this car.