2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

Available in 8 styles:  2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe shown

Overall

Cobalt SS performance, WOW

by TooManyCars from Wisconsin | May 3, 2016

The 08+ Turbocharged SS is NOT like the rest of the Cobalts, non-SS or earlier SS. The turbocharged one went to Germany and got tuned on a famous track where it holds the record for fastest FWD car. Road + Track said it isn't just a great FWD handling car, it is a great handling car. Period. The motor PULLS HARD and the suspension and brakes: WOW! Plus with a factory GM tune, the 260HP/260ft-LB jumps to 290HP/340ft-lb and still has factory warantee. Ride is FIRM on rough roads, but fine on smoother stuff, as expected in a car with level of performance. Plus gets 36 MPG on the road if drive 60. Only downside: 1. They didn't make very many (like 4,000 TOTAL) and lots have been modded to 350+ HP. Or worse wrapped into trees and wrecked. 2. Sure the interior is plastic. SO WHAT! Magazines get SO up tight about "soft touch" Ehat ever. Leather steering wheel, nice shifter, comfy seats, who cares if the dash is plastic. GM spent the money under the hood and on suspension, where it matters in a car like this. Get one. You will have fun.

Always at the shop for repairs

by KayB from Quebec, CA | February 23, 2016

I had the SS turbocharged 2009. In 3 years, i cost me over 6500$ of repair bill. Always broken and i was using it about 18000km per year. Very hard suspension, you feel every hole of the streets like if you were riding a solid iron slate. The turbo is always broken, it freezes under 0 celcius. The sun roof get jammed open, so have fun while trying to close it before the storm. It drinks gaz at an amazing rate, even if you do not use the turbo. Worst winter-condition car.

Safe, reliable, money saving car.

by Soybean from Illinois | March 6, 2015

I bought my 2009 cobalt xfe about 3 years ago and I have loved it since. It gets amazing gas mileage. I've put over 50k miles on it and haven't experiences any mechanical issues what so ever. Very dependable car. The interior is somewhat basic and cheap but it's a cobalt, it's made to be affordable. The audio system is decent and the cd player has satellite radio and an mp3 hookup. The seats are comfortable enough to where I can drive 4+ hours with two herniated discs and be comfortable. The car is very safe too. I hit a tree head on doing about 45 mph and didn't get a scratch on me. I would definitely buy one again. Cheap, reliable, great fuel economy, and very safe.

Great year, great mileage, great buy

by Jdogtoocool from Gonzales, LA | September 22, 2013

I purchased the car because of the great mileage it gets but also because it was steal. Only thing I dislike is that it has no armrests, also I have yet to learn how to use the cruise control but I'll get to that sooner or later. Besides those small details I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It's a Chevy, what's not to love.

Still in love

by Holly from Los Angeles, CA | September 5, 2013

My first Cobalt was a used 2008. It was my first 'big girl purchase' and a stick shift. I fell madly in love with that car. I drove across the country with it twice, and put a substantial amount of milage on it. I never once had any kind of problem. It was dependable, got great gas milage, and recently proved just how safe it was. I was hit by a drunk driver in an Escalade about 2 months ago, and my little Cobalt held its own. I suffered only minor injuries, and I am confident that some other car models would have crushed like a tin can. Although the car was totaled, I went right back into the market to get another Cobalt. This time I bought a used 2010, and am loving it. Getting back on the road has been nerve wracking, but it helps to know I am driving a vehicle that can keep me safe.

Lots of style!

by American Car Convert from Ft Worth, Tx | March 20, 2013

I've only had this car for a week but I live it! Very comfortable and drives very smooth for a 5-speed. Would definitely recommend to friends.

Nice economy car

by TTS from Baltimore,MD | January 27, 2013

Just purchased an 09 Cobalt lt about 3 weeks ago. For the most part it is a good vehicle. I love how intuitive the controls are;a'lot of newer cars have very complex controls that are irritating to master. I also like how peppy the engine is; for a little 4 cylinder it moves pretty sprightly. Visibility is wonderful although the mirror adjustments are limited. The gripes I have with the car are minor. 1st, it rides well for the most part but does not absorb bumps well. I live in Baltimore which may have the worst streets of any place in the country so I can't be to harsh . 2nd, the power steering seems to be a little on the heavy side;I've heard this is typical in american made cars(I am coming from a Nissan). 3rd I wish the vehicle were slightly bigger. It is a compact so I wasn't expecting a Maybach like back seat but it is very cramped. It's competitors; like The Sentra and Civic, are also compacts but offer better rear space while achieving similar gas mileage. 4th and final con has been gas mileage. It has not been terrible but it has not been great either. I have been averaging about 24-25 mpg with 65%City 35% highway driving. It is not terrible but I was hoping for more. Overall the Cobalt is a good car for those not looking to spend a fortune, or those who want to downsize from a larger vehicle. I can't say much on reliability since I just purchased it, but my Cobalt has over 100,000 miles and runs just as good as ones I test drove with half the mileage. I'm confident it will reach 200,000 miles or more as long as I stay on top of regular maintenance. I used to be one who bashed american automakers, but the cobalt is changing my perception. Good job Chevy on building an affordable and reliable vehicle!!!!

Smart Money Choice

by Smart for the money from Humble, Texas | December 20, 2012

Great drive and gas mileage. It has a responsive and peppy pickup without sacrificing the aweome gas mileage! I bought a 2009 with about 28k miles I look forward to 200k great miles with the car. I would recommend this car to m friends and family.

cobalt ss

by cobalt ss from dover pa | September 1, 2012

I bought a 2009 cobalt ss and i am very happy the turbo engine is amazing enough power to let you have fun but its completely capable of just cruising around town and the fuel economy is with out comparison on a trip to the beach and a 4 hour drive through mixed driving i average of 34 mph the interior is a little plan looking but it has everything you need the trunk has plenty of room and the styling is very cool but very easy to live with

Cobalt SS Turbo

by Middle aged car owner from Central Ohio | August 9, 2012

Really great car, you can't beat it for the money! Hanlding is is solid and feels like it's on rails in the twisties. Gas mileage is around 29-30 average mpg. Front seats are very comfortable and keep you snug during spirited driving. Shifting is great with the manual short throw shift knob. Steering feels good with little to no torque steer. With the GM stage one upgrade, the car feels even stronger. Driving this car would put a smile on any and everyone's face. You can't go wrong with buying a turbocharged Cobalt. Quit second guessing and just do it!

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Cobalt