BMW's 5 Series is the automaker's next step up in size and price from BMW's best-selling 3 Series. The top-level 550i is only available as a rear-wheel-drive sedan, unlike other 5 Series that can be had in wagon or all-wheel-drive configurations. The 5 Series competes with luxury sedans like the Audi A6, Lexus GS and Acura RL.
New for 2009
There are minimal changes for 2009. The 5 Series offers a new Google Maps function in navigation-equipped 5 Series; it allows drivers to search through Google Maps for restaurants, gas stations or other businesses.
The 5 Series was given a going-over for 2008, when it received minor front, rear and side styling changes.
- Xenon headlights
- Adaptive headlights turn in the direction of the steering wheel
- LED turn signals
- Front and rear parking sensors with graphic display
- Metallic paint
- 17-inch alloy wheels with all-season tires
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Optional 19-inch light-alloy wheels with performance run-flat tires
- Optional headlight washers
- Optional Aero package shares many of the same enhancements of the high-performance M5
Over the past few model updates, the 5 Series has received larger door pockets and increased storage capacity in the center console.
- Leather trim
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Auxiliary input for MP3 player
- Push-button start
- Available navigation system with iDrive
- Available head-up display projects car's speed and navigation directions on windshield
- Available heated front and rear seats
- Available HD radio
- Available active cruise control automatically slows car when approaching a slow-moving car
Under the Hood
While other 5 Series use six-cylinder engines, the 550i uses a 4.8-liter V-8 making 360 horsepower and 360 pounds-feet of torque.
- Six-speed manual transmission
- Available six-speed automatic
- Rear-wheel drive
Safety features include:
- Electronic stability system
- Antilock brakes
- Front, side-impact and side curtain airbags standard
- Rear side-impact airbags optional
- Lane departure warning system sends vibration through steering wheel when car veers from lane
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 BMW 550.