Audi continues to offer its S4, but only as a convertible (Cabriolet) for 2009. The all-new 2010 Audi S4 sedan is scheduled to go on sale in the fall of 2009. Competitors include the Cadillac CTS-V and Lexus IS-F.
Changes for 2009
The sedan and wagon body styles aren't offered for the 2009 model year.
The S4's basic exterior is derived from the A4. It has large front air intakes, and the side mirrors have aluminum accents. The power fabric top contains a heated glass rear window.
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Bi-xenon headlamps
- Power heated mirrors
- Power convertible roof
The S4 convertible can hold four people. Backseat legroom is rather sparse, and trunk space is modest.
- Leather upholstery
- Leather-wrapped shifter and steering wheel
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
- Power windows, locks and keyless entry
- Available Bose audio system
- Available navigation system
Under the Hood
Audi's 4.2-liter V-8, which is also used in the automaker's larger models, was modified to fit into the S4's compact engine compartment. Audi says the S4 can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds when equipped with the six-speed manual gearbox. A specially tuned exhaust system is installed. A six-speed automatic transmission that features a manual-shift provision is available.
The convertible features structural refinements in its sills, A-pillars, under the rear seat and in the double bulkhead behind the backseat for enhanced rigidity.
- 340-horsepower, 4.2-liter V-8 with 302 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission
- Quattro all-wheel drive
- Speed-sensitive power steering
Height-adjustable front seat belts have load limiters standard. Sensors in the active rollover protection system detect an imminent rollover and deploy protective hoops behind the rear seats.
- Side-impact airbags and head extension airbag
- Driver's-side knee airbag
- Daytime running lights
- Antilock brakes and traction control
- Electronic stability system